This is a family blog. As we are in a heatwave, the family has refused to do anything blog-worthy.
This could be problematic for those less tuned in to this system of pipes called "internet." I know when content gets thin it's time for cat pictures or videos. Lucky for me the neighbors have a cat willing to help out.
Not to fear, eventually cooler weather will arrive and with it more relevant posts.
Hard Travel and Good Times: The clasps began to fail so it was time.
Back in 2008 I donated the above suitcase to a thrift shop. I did so with a tang of regret, which is why I took a photo.
I bought the suitcase in New York City in the early 1990s as a formal transition from the duffels and backpacks that defined my earlier luggage. The suitcase represented my transition into adulthood, where I had to transport formal clothes and not be a total idiot.
Generally I am not the nostalgic sort about gear, if something is broken I want to replace it quickly. However, when this suitcase began to be only marginally serviceable it took some effort to move it along.
I have a tendency to develop an odd sense of loyalty to special objects in my life. This is usually directed towards sporting goods -- bikes, skis, and surfboards -- even though I move through gear regularly.
The nostalgia comes when I realize the right thing to do is get rid of the thing, making me reflective of the good times I had with it.
I'm lucky in that I have a limited capacity for nostalgia. Once the thing is out the door I'm good.
Good until the purchase of a plane ticket makes me search my photo files for the symbol of excellent travels remembered.
This past Sunday our family went and marched in the Pride parade, a gathering of many gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people. While witnessing a scene similar to the one above, I made the remark, "That's totally gay!" -- thinking that such was an okay thing to say because I was aiming that remark at the Portland Gay Men's choir.
Far from being amused, or finding the remark descriptive, the daughter set me straight.
"We're in the parade and we're not gay. We're just showing support. So don't go putting labels on people. This parade is about accepting people whoever they are." I have to admit the child speaks truth. Even if I'm 95% sure something is totally gay I will think that the remaining 5% should be honored by not being erroneously labeled. I continue to grow.
The finished product: a fusion of English muffin, cheese, turkey sausage, and egg
LSS and the daughter brought home a contraption that makes breakfast sandwiches -- fusions of egg and other ingredients to English muffins.
Because the machine forces one to use circular breads of four-inch diameters, I prefer to use a skillet in making these breakfast things. This way one's individual liberty in the pursuit of bread is not trampled upon.
The below video shows the daughter taking a first run with the breakfast sandwich machine.
Today, at the prompting of the New York Times, I visited the Federal Election Commission website to peruse the 366 candidates currently running for president.
A fun list indeed!
It never occurred to me that such would make for good entertainment for my 10-year-old. When he comes home from school I will try and package something educational in the pointing out of the candidacy of Sydneys Voluptuous Buttocks.
Godzilla about to destroy yet another city that isn't Portland.
I haven't yet seen San Andreas, staring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Reading a review I've learned the filmmakers destroy not one, but two, cities.
I would be much more excited to see this film if I could choose the two cities that would be destroyed.
Seeing Portland destroyed would be neat because I know the skyline and landmarks. Next on the destruction list I would choose Beaverton, Oregon because it's fairly flat and would probably be overrun with people on cargo bikes delivering emergency supplies.
I don't know that the bicycle rescuers would be all that visually dramatic, but the self-satisfied good feeling of those who own cargo bikes would light up the night sky for a beautiful effect.